Thursday, September 1, 2016


Five hundred in current, I said
Straight; the rest were old bills
Of the stuff only banks would
Pay until December end.
And my cellphone’s Jurassic!

Perplexed for a moment thin
The driver pressed, and moved
That I change the old for new money,
Anywhere, with anybody -- at once!
Else, he’d give it the gun.

I kept the quiet, knowing
Its might in times like this.
My mind’s presence now him,
To go back the distance, where
The house of a comrade held uncertain.
 
Was he home or was he home?
I shuddered the question,
Hoping not otherwise; but not in vain. 
On the way, we made a deal
To glance each other from whatsit.

I laid my things, and the car strode
To knock, my friend wary at the door.
No questions asked; I requested
A switch for friendship’s sake,
Cash for cash, again, no questions asked.

I cared my comrade, self seeming
Not quite, to be sure, but i
Had a canny feel I was on
The right track to engage
A condition of my nature.

I handed the phone and money, funny
We carried on to where I was going
At first: Cinema One. Off the dot,
A fortune dream was crushed. Failing,
I walked exhausted, yet undefeated.

It’s strange the cabby stayed,
And drove me back to where I hailed him.
Thank Heavens, for small graces; for pits
That closed different people. And for
Being senior strong in the field of the weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment